Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Current Parenting Dilemma

As if there were only one. But this one is particularly vexing at the moment. Jane and Audrey play pretty well together, but at least 300 times a day, one of them happens to play with a toy that the other one wants. If Jane decides she wants whatever Audrey has, she walks up to her and plucks it right out of Audrey's hand, at which point I have a dilemma. Do I pluck it out of Jane's hand while scolding her not to take things from people without asking. Or do I ask her nicely to give the toy back and then ask Audrey nicely for the toy, knowing full well that Jane will not in a million years give that toy back. Same problem comes into play when Audrey's got something she's not supposed to have. The easiest thing to do is to just take it from her and tell her she can't have it, but I know Jane's watching, and the last thing I want her doing is taking things from Audrey just because she thinks she shouldn't have them.

On another note...the other day, Adam had the privilege of witnessing a sight he doesn't often see - Audrey going in to get Jane up from her nap. He came out to the living room to tell me about the precious scene, which was pretty typical. Audrey, having gotten access to our room where Jane takes her naps, runs in to greet Jane, who is laying down smelling Jonas' ears. Jane sits up, arms outstretched, and Audrey runs to her. They tackle each other in a hug, and Jane stops, says, "I love you sweetie," and proceeds to give her a delicate kiss on the cheek. Adam thought it was very cute, as did I, but then I told him to wait for what comes next, at which point we started hearing the screams. Audrey had had enough of Jane's love and was feeling smothered. Adam had to intervene to get Audrey out of the headlock. But at least it starts out cute.

Here's a picture of the two while they still love each other.

Here's a few random pictures from recently. (Yeah, we've been wearing short sleeves outside these days).

Audrey in her element. I much prefer her climbing on this to the other things she chooses to climb...the piano, the bunk bed, etc.

Adam took this one of Jane for a photography class he's taking.

Jane being a cat.

Audrey on the picnic table.

No comments:

Post a Comment